For $50 (sometimes on sale for $40) you can replace your home computer using an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4k, a USB hub, and AWS Workspaces. Without changing any of the functionality of your Fire Stick!
What is AWS Workspaces?
Amazon WorkSpaces is a managed, secure cloud desktop service. You can use Amazon WorkSpaces to provision either Windows or Linux desktops in just a few minutes and quickly scale to provide thousands of desktops to workers across the globe. You can pay either monthly or hourly, just for the WorkSpaces you launch, which helps you save money when compared to traditional desktops and on-premises VDI solutions. Amazon WorkSpaces help you eliminate the complexity in managing inventory, OS versions and patches, and Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI), which helps simplify your desktop delivery strategy. With Amazon WorkSpaces, your users get a fast, responsive desktop of their choice that they can access anywhere, anytime, from any supported device.
Setup a free AWS account
Setup AWS WorkSpaces
Free-tier AWS Account allows for 40 hours x 2 months = 80 hours of free computing!
1. The Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
2. A USB Hub to connect mouse/keyboard
- A bluetooth mouse and keyboard will work.
Install AWS Workspaces on your Fire TV Stick 4k:
1. Turn on Developer Options
- Navigate to Developer Options and turn ON
- Settings->My Fire TV->Developer Options->ADB Debugging ON & Apps from Unknown Sources ON
2. Install Downloader
- Apps->Categories->Productivity->Install “Downloader”
3. Install FileLinked
- Open Downloader and type in “http://get.filelinked"
- Highlight and Click INSTALL
- Click Delete the APK
- It will delete the “other” non-used App that was used for installation
4. Install AWS Workspaces & Mouse Toggle
- Go to Home Screen, Click FileLinked
- Use FileLinked to install AWS Workspaces & Mouse Toggle
- Enter code “45833000”
- Click continue
- Download AWS Workspaces
- Click install
- Download Mouse Toggle
- Click install
- Once you double-click the play button on the remote, a mouse pointer will appear on the screen. You can then use that pointer to click various items within the applications that you are using.
5. Run the AWS Workspaces App
- Click the App in your main menu and enter your login information from your AWS Free Tier account
- This info should be your registration code followed by your username and password
- Once successful, your workspace will begin to boot up
- The first time always takes longer and can be configured in your AWS account to run 24⁄7
6. Configure Workspaces for 1080p
- Drag mouse against the left pane, a pop-up should appear to change resolution to 1080p
You now have a free computer for 2 months!
- After your two months are up you can choose what type of experience you would like to maintain on Workspaces, maxing out at 16 vCPU, 122 GiB Memory, 1 GPU, 8 GiB Video Memory!
- Remember this Workspace works on ipad, android, chromebook, and your web browser!